Savory ackee and cream cheese spread, a simple recipe using virtually two ingredients: add your own spin and make it as simple or as fancy as you’d like. Spread it on bagels or toast for breakfast or as a dip with chips.
When I lived in the Rockies one particular guilty pleasure of mine was the jalapeño cheddar bagel, double toasted with butter or garlic cream cheese from Tim Hortons, fortunately, the closest town with a Timmies was 45 minutes away in one direction so I didn’t indulge too often. Then there was that one time that I led my husband and a couple of my siblings on a walk across New York for easily over an hour in search of a classic New York style bagel at Murray’s Bagels (what can I say? when there is a mission, there is a mission…all aboard and let’s go!).
I like a good bagel (and really enjoyed making the rainbow ones pictured below, click here for the full tutorial) but I also love a good spread for a bagel!
My younger brother went through a cream cheese spread phase where he just couldn’t get enough. He could easily breeze through a container in less than a day, which is fine, I guess, but you could also make your own cream cheese spread and have twice as much if not more for the same price! Then he told me that I wasn’t there to make it for him so he had to do what he had to do, touché.
This spread could not be easier to make, toss all the ingredients in a bowl, mix and you are done! The ackee flavour is forward but not overpowering. Finally, this recipe is meant for you to build up on; I’ve provided 10 variations in the recipe notes including 3 of which are pictured. What would you add to your ackee cream cheese spread? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below. If you try this or any of the recipes from this site, be sure to #amazingackee and @amazingackee so that I can see your posts across social media.
Until next time, thanks for stopping by 😊
Ackee Cream Cheese Spread
Simple beginning recipe for a savory spread, countless variations can be done
- 1 8oz box Cream cheese, softened (I left mine out at room temperature for a couple of hours)
- 3/4 cup Parboiled Ackee packed into cup when measuring
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Combine cream cheese and ackee in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Alternately use a bowl and spoon.
Mix well till smooth and combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in any desired add-ins
If you want your spread to be completely smooth, puree or pass the parboiled ackee through a sieve before mixing with cream cheese
- Garlic & Green Onion (pictured): Add finely minced garlic and green onions to the prepared spread
- Sun-dried Tomato (pictured): Add finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes, smoked paprika and garlic to the prepared spread
- Pesto (pictured): Add a few teaspoons of store-bought or homemade pesto to the prepared spread
- Chipotle: Add finely chopped chipotle peppers to the prepared spread
- Smoked Salmon/Herring: Roughly chop smoked fish and add to prepared spread along with herbs such as dill if desired or capers
- Roasted Garlic: Add a few cloves of roasted garlic to the prepared spread
- Poblano/Red Pepper: Rub pepper with oil and roast till the skin blisters. Let cool briefly then remove skin and seeds. Chop finely and mix into prepared spread
- Salsa: Mix in a few teaspoons of store-bought or homemade salsa into the prepared spread
- Herb: Mix in your favorite blend of finely minced herbs
- Goat cheese: Replace half the cream cheese with goat cheese when making the spread